The concept of wearing yoga pants to work is a highly-debated topic. If your heart is set on wearing yoga pants to the office, there are several ways to make your outfit business-ready. Make sure you wear high-quality yoga pants that aren’t sheer, and always wear shirts or dresses that are long enough to provide proper coverage. Cardigans, tunics, blazers, and shift dresses are all great options when creating an outfit out of yoga pants, and accessorizing is key.
EditChoosing Appropriate Yoga Pants
- Invest in high-quality yoga pants. If you’re wearing yoga pants to work, you want them to be durable while also providing comfort. Try to find yoga pants made of a thicker material, and try them on before purchasing them to ensure they aren’t see-through. Sheer yoga pants are definitely something to avoid in the workplace.
- Yoga leggings offer the most outfit options and tend to look the best in a professional work environment.
- Yoga pants with a slightly flared leg can also work, just make sure they aren’t baggy.
- Choose neutral-colored pants for a more professional look. While you may love your yoga pants, you don’t want them to stand out at work. Black gives off a more professional look and will go with almost any outfit, and brown, navy, gray, cream, and burgundy are also options that will look professional.
- A dark green or dark violet could also work.
- Avoid bright or neon yoga pants, as well as printed or patterned ones.
- Wear tops that go past your bottom. This is one of the most important parts about wearing yoga pants to work and the key to an appropriate outfit. Wear long shirts or sweaters that go past your bottom, or even opt for a dress over your pants. Wearing longer tops will ensure you look professional and work-appropriate.
- Separate your workout pants from your work pants. You shouldn’t be wearing the same yoga pants to work that you just worked out in at the gym. Not only do you not want to be wearing smelly clothing at work, but you want to preserve the quality of your work yoga pants. To do this, make sure you have separate yoga pants for work and the gym.
- Keep all logos hidden. To make sure your look remains professional, you don’t want people to be able to see the logos on your yoga pants. Logos, as well as any colorful side stripes, give off an athletic vibe that doesn’t fit in the office. Most logos are on the waistband of your yoga pants, making them easy to cover up with a long shirt or dress.
- Dress your yoga pants up, not down. To successfully pull off wearing yoga pants to work, you need to wear stylish tops that will balance out your pants. Try to create outfits that look professional while still being comfortable. Just because you’re wearing yoga pants doesn’t mean you should throw on some sneakers and a tank top.
- A cinched button-down or flowy blouse looks great with yoga pants.
- Use jewelry and other accessories to take your outfit to the next level.
EditCreating an Outfit
- Dress in layers to make your outfit look put-together. Layering is the key to creating great work outfits out of yoga pants. Start with a base layer of a shirt, and then add on a sweater, blazer, or jacket. You can even add a scarf or long socks to your outfit, and don’t forget about the jewelry.
- For example, a complete outfit might consist of a white blouse, blue sweater, black yoga leggings, black sandals, and a comfortable headband.
- Pair your yoga pants with a cardigan for a comfortable look. Cardigans are comfortable and great for layering, making them perfect for wearing with yoga pants. Put on your black yoga pants and wear a white or neutral-colored shirt or blouse. Wear a cardigan in a color that you like, and make sure either the cardigan or the shirt covers your bottom.
- Wear a neutral-colored blouse with a black cardigan, along with brown bootcut yoga pants and a pair of flats for a professional-looking outfit that’s also comfortable.
- Wear yoga pants with a tunic or button-down for an easy outfit option. Tunics and button-downs tend to be on the lengthier side, making them great options for wearing with yoga pants or yoga leggings. Wear a tunic or button-down in a shade of blue, gray, or white with your black yoga pants. Accessorize with a scarf or necklace to make your outfit look dressier.
- A complete outfit might consist of a green cinched button-down, yoga leggings, brown leather boots, and a bulky necklace.
- Throw on a blazer or jacket with your pants for a professional look. Pair your yoga pants or leggings with a blazer or jacket with a shirt underneath. Choose a black blazer to go with your black yoga pants, and wear a white or soft-colored shirt under the blazer. For an edgier look, pair your yoga pants with a leather jacket. Complete the outfit by wearing bold earrings and combat boots.
- A pastel-colored, loose shirt under a leather jacket would look great with black yoga pants.
- Bootcut yoga pants and flared yoga pants are great options for wearing with jackets or blazers.
- Put on a dress or skirt with yoga leggings to look dressier. If you’d like to look classy while wearing comfy pants, throw on a pair of black yoga leggings and a shift dress. Choose a dress color or pattern that goes with the season, and pair it with a sweater or belt, if desired. You can also choose to wear a skirt over your yoga leggings, pairing it with a neutral-colored top. Heels, wedges, and flats look best with this style.
- Pair a black or gray shift dress with burgundy or cream yoga leggings, and add a belt and boots to complete the look.
- Wear black yoga leggings under a bright skirt. Choose a cream or white blouse, and tuck the blouse into your skirt. The skirt can also be patterned, and heels would look great with the outfit.
- Accessorize your outfit to make it look dressier. To take your outfit from laid-back to professional, try to add at least 1-2 pieces of jewelry to your outfit. Wear a bold necklace with your yoga pants, or throw on pearl earrings and a bracelet. If you don’t want to wear jewelry, add a scarf, headband, belt, or stylish socks to your outfit.
- Scarves and long socks are great accessories for colder weather, while bracelets, headbands, and other types of jewelry will stand out in warmer months.
- Choose shoes that complement your outfit, such as sandals, boots, or flats. If you’re wearing a blazer or jacket with yoga pants, boots or heels are going to be the best shoe choice. Boots are best when you’re wearing yoga leggings so that you can show the boots off, and low heels are great for flare yoga pants. For outfits consisting of button-downs or tunics, consider wearing flats that are either a neutral color or a color that matches your top.
- Sandals, such as ones that have a slight heel or tie around your ankle, look great with cardigans, especially in warmer weather.
- If you’re wearing a dress, you might choose flats or heels, while if you’re sporting a sweater and scarf, boots would be a great choice.
- Make sure you won’t be getting into trouble by wearing yoga pants to work. Many conservative work environments frown on wearing athletic clothes to work, so check any outfit guidelines or restrictions beforehand.
EditSources and Citations
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found