From the Back Cover
Understanding key mathematical concepts and applying them successfully to solve problems are vital skills that all engineering students must acquire. Mathematics for Engineers teaches, develops and nurtures those skills. Practical, informal and accessible, it begins with the foundations and gradually builds upon this knowledge as it introduces more complex concepts until you have learned everything you will need for your first year engineering maths course, together with introductory material for even more advanced topics.
· Applications of mathematics drawn from a wide range of engineering areas: aeronautical, automotive, chemical, civil, computer, electrical and electronic, manufacturing, materials, mechanical, production, reliability, and systems engineering.
· Hundreds of interactive examples are provided in the context of various engineering disciplines, so you are able to both engage with the problems and also see the relevance of the maths to your wider studies.
· A wealth of practice and revision exercises with solutions help test your knowledge.
· Key points and important results are highlighted throughout.
· Computer and calculator examples and exercises are incorporated in relevant sections.
· Specimen examination papers give further opportunity to practise.
· A foundation section gives you a firm base in arithmetic, the building block of many high-level mathematical topics.
Anthony Croft is Professor of Mathematics Education at Loughborough University and Robert Davison spent over 30 years teaching and writing mathematics for higher education students.
They have authored many best-selling mathematics textbooks including several for engineering students.