We made a gerbil cage out of the IKEA DETOLF glass display cabinet. For $60 we got a huge cage (less if you get an old DETOLF off Craigslist or eBay) with a separator in the middle.
Other materials to make the Gerbil Cage:
- Construction adhesive glue
- Pieces of U-Profile (optional)
- Clear Silicone
- Mesh wire (make sure that the spaces are not big)
- Pieces of wood
- L shaped flat metal brace
Instructions to transform the IKEA DETOLF cabinet into a gerbil cage
1. Take out the door of the cabinet.
2. Remove the metal frame out of the cabinet. Most importantly, MAKE SURE THAT YOU SUPPORT THE SIDES. DO NOT LET IT FALL APART!!!
3. Take the metal frame and saw off the crossbars and bottom, so only the top bar stays intact.
4. Remove the top and the bottom of the cabinet.
5. Insert glue in the slot of one side.
6. Then put the cabinet together and let it stand on the side with the glue. So there is pressure from its weight on the glue. Let the glue dry (24 hours) and then put clear/white silicone.
7. Redo step 5-6 to the other side of the cage and let it stand on the other side to dry now. (using its weight to pressurize the glue)
8. Put the metal rails (frame) in on the top of your cage
9. Use Silicone to fill the cracks and cover up the glue.
Related: IKEA DETOLF cage for dwarf hamsters
Optional — make more cages out of the cabinet
Use the glue to attach the U-profile to 1/2 or 1/3 or 2/3 of the way down the cage.
Let the glue dry.
Related: IKEA DETOLF vivarium for reptiles
Slide in one of the glass sheets.
Here you can see the gerbil cage put together. We left the rails (iron frame) on the top only. This can be easy to attach items too.
How we made the cover for the IKEA DETOLF Cabinet
1. Cut the wood sideways into the size of each cage to create a top.
2. Use the metal “L”s to attach each piece of wood to another.
Related: IKEA DETOLF as a green house
3. Place the wire mesh on top of the 1st layer of wood.
4. Repeat the above 3 steps.
5. Lastly, nail the 2 layers of wood and the wire mesh together using nails.
See the full tutorial of the gerbil cage.
~ by Kirsten Hopstaken
The post Create a cheap and huge gerbil cage from the IKEA DETOLF glass cabinet appeared first on IKEA Hackers.